Moving is always a stressful and challenging task, but it becomes even trickier if you are moving internationally. It involves a lot of planning, coordination, and communication with different parties. However, hiring professional movers can make the process easier and straightforward. Here are some top do’s and don’ts for a successful international move with professional movers.
1. Research and Select Reputable Movers: Before hiring a moving company, conduct thorough research about it. Check their reputation, customer reviews, licenses, and certifications for international moves. It’s best to rely on referrals from friends, family, and trusted sources.
2. Get a Written Estimate: Ask your movers to provide you with a written, detailed estimate of their services, including the cost, the timeline, and the terms and conditions. This will help you understand the services they offer and the expenses involved.
3. Plan Ahead of Time: International moves require a lot of planning, so start early. Make a checklist of everything you need to do, including booking flights, sorting out visas and permits, packing and labeling your inventory, and booking your mover. Allow ample time for each task.
4. Decluttering: International moves are costly, as distance and customs regulations can add expenses. To reduce costs, minimize the number of items you plan to move by decluttering your home. Sell, donate or discard the items that you don’t need or use.
5. Pack Strategically: Your movers will help you pack your household goods, but ensure you pack strategically. Label all boxes clearly, and place the boxes according to their contents, so that the movers can handle them efficiently.
1. Delay Crucial Tasks: International moves need timely completion of various tasks like visa applications, pet immigration permits, and other similar matters. Delaying any of these can lead to significant setbacks in your move, and cause disruptions.
2. Overpacking: It’s common to overpack belongings when moving. However, it’s essential to remember that international moves have restrictions on weight and space. Overpacking can lead to extra charges, legal issues, and shipment delays.
3. Ignore Insurance: While professional movers ensure the safety of your possessions, damages and accidents can occur during transit. It is, therefore, necessary to purchase transit insurance to avoid costly expenses.
4. Avoid Documentation: Avoid skipping paperwork, as it’s essential to keep track of all legal documents related to the move. This includes passports, visas, permits, and any other relevant documents.
5. Forget Custom Regulations: International moves require compliance with customs regulations. Failure to comply with these regulations can lead to severe legal implications, delays, and additional expenses. Ensure your movers are familiar with these regulations and requirements.
Moving overseas can be a daunting task. Hiring professional movers can reduce the burden and make the process more seamless, but it’s crucial to follow the do’s and don’ts list above for a successful move. A little bit of planning and timely action can save you time, money, and a lot of anxiety during the moving process.